First Floor, Ambleside Library, Kelsick Road, Ambleside, LA22 0BZ.
Telephone/Fax: 015394 31656.
Clerk to the Council: Charlene Bell
ABOUT THE COUNCIL
Lakes Parish Council was formed by statute in 1974 as successor council to the Lakes Urban District Council. It incorporates within its boundaries the wards of Ambleside, the Langdales, Rydal & Loughrigg, Grasmere and Troutbeck and has its own civic insignia and coat of arms.
The Parish covers an area of 13,428 hectares, the largest land area of any Parish or Town Council in South Lakeland, and has the fourth largest population (7,300). The Parish is represented by sixteen councillors.
The Council represents the electorate at grass roots level and works in partnership with local organisations to ensure that the views of residents are heard. It will initiate appropriate action on matters of public interest in the Parish and is empowered under the provisions of the Local Government Act 1972 to incur expenses for any purpose that is in the interests of its residents.
One major item of expenditure is the provision and maintenance of footway lighting. The Council scrutinises all planning applications (approximately 200 each year) and makes recommendations to the Lake District National Park Authority which is the Planning Authority for the National Park. The Council is consulted by local, regional and national Agencies on a wide variety of issues such as traffic management, highways, environmental matters, rural issues, structure plans, local plans, conservation projects, lake administration, footways, rights of ways etc. etc. This busy workload means that Members are often out and about on site visits in the Parish.
APPOINTMENTS TO CHARITIES & OTHER GROUPS
The Council appoints governors to:
- Ambleside Church of England School
- Grasmere Church of England School
- Langdale Church of England School
- Kelsick Educational Foundation
- The Windermere Endowed Schools Foundation
and is represented on the following groups, committees and charities:
- The Lake Windermere Sub Committee (SLDC)
- The Lake Consultative Committee
- Cumbria Association of Local Councils
- Ambleside Welfare Charity
- The Armitt Trust
- Grasmere Green’s and Poor’s Charity
- Borwick & Jackson’s Troutbeck Charity
- Goodly Dale Cottage Homes
- Cumbria in Bloom
- Lakes Line Action Group
- Troutbeck Bridge Swimming Pool
- Ambleside Christmas Lights Committee.